Please note:

This blog (which originated during the 2012 Romney campaign) consists of my opinions, and my opinions alone. Despite the election loss, I've continued the blog, and write a post when strong feelings drive me to it. In spite of the blog titIe, I DO NOT speak for my church nor for other members of my church. If anything I say ever contradicts LDS doctrine .... forget me and go with the Church.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

"What did you think it would look like .....?"

Recently I listened to a podcast recorded by fairmormon.org featuring an interview (emphasizing Part 2 of the interview) with Bill Reel, a member of my religion, who told the story of his faith crisis.  A faith crisis is when a person begins to question, doubt, and consider leaving his religion.  Reel was a bishop (similar to a minister) at the time and was at a loss where to go, or who to talk to for help.  It began when he started reading things about our church's history that just didn't make sense to him.  

The LDS Church does indeed have a colorful past.  Polygamy, racism, angels, a mysterious gold book, ancient scripture found in mummies, intense persecution, interpreter stones, and the recording of every word that every past church leader has ever uttered.  Thanks to the internet, we have enough information to make almost any devout Mormon shake in their boots.   

Bishop Reel was at a loss.  He talked to trusted friends, his own local church leaders, and even wrote to one of the church leaders in Utah.  He received some comfort, but no real answers.  Some didn't even know what he was talking about because, even though it has always been accessible in the archives and many articles have been written in Church magazines, most of this information is not taught in our manuals.  Reel was almost to the point of leaving, when he turned to some LDS discussion boards online.  And through this resource, he received an email from a stranger, that began to turn him around.  

I searched back through the podcast to find the words of that letter.  I wanted to keep them because with careful reading, they are profound.  Here it is in blue, as best I could transcribe it from the audio version.   

His question:  "Why does the Church ignore these elephants in the room that I perceive and I feel like I am the only one who sees them?"  

The answer:  "There are not problems as you characterize them and the elephants in the room are not the baby elephants you keep hoping are going to trumpet the answer.  In the very back corner, there is a humongous, massive bull elephant who is sitting on his side, resting from all the bellowing he has been doing, hoping to get your attention over the mass of baby elephants making all the racket.  He is obscurred from your view because all you keep seeing are those baby elephants covering him from view.  

There is a work underfoot that you do not grasp yet.  It seems to you to be a work to hide and protect the Church.  That is completely incorrect.  When you think of Bruce R. McConkie’s take on the Ten Virgins and that they represent members (of the Church) and that half of them will fall away ...... what do YOU think is going to separate the Saints from one another?  We do love each other and as a group, we are very tolerant when appropriate, but what is going to drive a wedge between the members to push them apart?  


Faith is the big elephant, lying on its side resting.  The 50% who fall away are those who do not realize that theology is built upon a requirement of faith.  Without it, none can please God.  

One can never overcome theological demands of faith by an appeal to empirical proof.   They are at odds.  One destroys the other.  Proof will only leave you weak and unable to stand, when stand you must. One leads to life eternal; the other leaves one unable to call upon God when the time is ripe for destruction.  The work that is underfoot is the sifting of the wheat from the tares.  In the coming days, and I have no clue how long, but soon enough I am sure, the truth of the history of the Church will save no lives.  The only thing that will, is in those that live, breath, and feel in their hearts and souls the faith that can stand at this moment 

The beginning of the onslaught against the Church is the same ideological battle that pulled the third of heaven to follow Satan.  It will escalate from there to becoming a physical battle and the world will be arrayed against us.  It will take powerful faith, perhaps Enochian faith to turn against those that would destroy the members of the Church.  You are only in the beginning stages of the battle of the war of words and ideals and you are already falling prey to the efforts.  What will you do when destruction is between you and the powers of heaven to forestall?  

Faith, so few understand it, is a genuine power.  Sometimes I think that members are hell-bent on avoiding, denying, and fleeing away from the opportunities to exercise faith, the power that holds worlds in their orbits and enables the creative effort.  We lip-service it and then ignore it constantly.  This day is a blessing to you.  You are being tossed and torn and beaten and abused in the crucible of faith.  The anxiety you feel is because you are slowly feeling the heat of the flames that will prepare some and destory others You acknowledge the need for faith, but it is not impressed upon your soul the power of what faith really is.  

Again I ask, what did you think it would look like when we were in the middle of this sifting?  It looks like what you are seeing.  It is painful until faith provides the healing.  And there is NO faith in questioning the motives of the Church.  They know exactly what is happening and they are stemming it as best they can within the boundaries of agency and teaching correct principles."  

(Back to me.)  There is a finite number of issues that our critics love to circulate over and over.  I have personally become familiar with all of these issues, some more than others, and thankfully, my faith has not been shaken.  Possibly because I was taught most of these things as I was growing up, so very little was a surprise.  I also just don't seem to have a questioning nature.  It has always been easy for me to believe and the blessings of being a Mormon have been obvious to me my entire life.  The few things I don't yet understand, I set aside for now.  

To summarize ....  

We are on this earth to learn faith.  As soon as we have that scientific or physical proof that many of us desire, faith is over.   "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."  (Hebrews 11:1)  The lessons on gaining, growing, and exercising our faith permeates all scripture.  We are not here to prove anything .... we are here to believe and to act on our belief ..... without physical proof.  Our only proof for now, is the whisperings of the Lord's Spirit, AKA the Holy Ghost.    THAT, in my opinion, is why we have not yet been given any type of archaeological discovery, or DNA research results, etc., that we can trot out to the the nearest mountain top and yell to the world .... SEE??  WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!  

Have you ever thought the Lord was unnecessarily cruel when He directed Abraham to slay his beloved son Isaac for a sacrifice?  I have.  How awful!  Why would a loving God put Abraham through such a dreadful ordeal before stopping him?  I don't have all the answers, but apparently there is great value in testing one's faith.  God knows our faith.  He knows our limits.  And He knows our potential.

But we don't.  I need to learn about me and you need to learn about you.  And we learn through being tested.  The Lord always knew that Abraham would be obedient in all things, and now Abraham knows it too.  

My point:  The Lord let all these oddities in our Mormon history happen.  Some He directed, and some He left for his prophet, an imperfect human, to figure out.  He gave us all the freedom of choice and in our humanness, some mistakes were made, along with the inherent clumsiness of restoring a religion that the world had not seen for centuries.  There was no template, nor pattern, from a neighboring church and God let those things BE for our own modern-day Abrahamic test, so to speak.  At the same time, I think He kept a firm hand on those parts that affect eternity.  The doctrine of Jesus Christ, the saving ordinances with the keys of administration, and the Plan of Salvation are rock-solid and everlasting.  THAT is our gospel.

The Church has wisely taught us all along that the most important thing is to develop our faith and our ability to recognize the voice of the Spirit.    Regardless of whatever form the vexatious wedge that seeks to divide us may take, our faith will keep us firm.  We will have our iron rod to anchor us.  In other words, if God tells you it's TRUE and through faith you believe Him .... then nothing else matters.  And eventually, we will have all the answers ... and the proof, after our test is done.

Thus we are buffeted and sifted, separating the wheat from the tares.  This is just the beginning and it will get worse.  We knew it was coming because the prophets have told us.    

We just didn't realize what it would look like. 




  

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Brenda. You and the letter writer have articulated so well a lesson that is so important to understand, particularly when our faith is challenged. I'd like to share this with some friends if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all. I am honored. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I am a convert to the Church along with my twin sister and my mother. We joined from the Catholic faith and the price we paid was a dear one. My stepdad was already a member of the Church but had been inactive for years, and our searching for the truth and learning from the missionaries was what brought him back to his home in the Church.

    Because I had to fight for my belief and my faith in the Church and in the gospel, it is impossible to walk away or forget how I came to know that it is true. My family and I each had to find out for ourselves that the Church was true, and then we each had to act on that knowledge. What a gift.

    On my mission, a long-time investigator and husband of a asked me repeatedly for physical evidence of the Book of Mormon. He wanted concrete proof that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. This was a very intelligent, very thoughtful man who had studied the Church and its doctrines for many years, but his questions lingered. One afternoon, as my companion and I were about to take our leave, he asked me a question about the translation of the Book of Mormon and suddenly I recalled with forceful clarity the story of Nephi and his brothers being rebuked by an angel of the Lord. The angel shocks the disobedient brothers, causes them to tremble in his presence, and then promises them that they will have the power to fulfill the Lord's commandment to take Laban's brass plates back with them to their family in the wilderness. But what happens next? Not a moment after this angelic vision departs, the brothers are doubting and complaining again. The physical proof they received - the sight, the sound, and the sensation of a holy messenger - is not enough to convince them of the power of God or His protection and blessing over them.

    I asked this sweet, doubting brother if he could recall the story of Nephi, his brothers, and the brass plates. He could - he was well-versed in the scriptures. I tried to impress upon him the importance of faith over "proof." Laman and Lemuel saw, heard, and felt the glory of an angel of God but still could not believe that they could overcome Laban and obtain the gold plates as they had been commanded. Why not? Why wasn't that miraculous physical proof enough? Because, I gently replied, without faith in God the greatest and most convincing proof would not be enough to answer our heart's deepest questions. Our faith must be present to truly satisfy the longing that we feel for truth, and only then can we be led to action. If we could heft the gold plates and see the Angel Moroni for ourselves, we still would not believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God or that God's Church had been restored upon the earth if we did not have faith. Faith must precede that miracle. I don't know if that wonderful brother ever satisfied the questions in his heart, but that experience has been a treasure to me regarding the importance of faith and the proper recipe for curing doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Katie (and Ken), What a wonderful story and message. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it. I am happy to be able to keep it with my post. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For what it is worth, I am in the Bill Reel in the article. I also run my own podcast which serves to help people in a faith struggle or who want to frame the tough issues more fully so they can lead with faith. It is found at http://mormondiscussion.podbean.com I also want to add a important point. Our faith has you point out as many unique, at times problematic, and sometimes even weird events in our history. To ignore these and "just have faith" is likely never to work over the long haul as eventually "the shelf comes down". Often when we discover new conflicting information, we simply hold our current beliefs and try to force the new info to change to fit them (the info is a lie, it is anti mormon propaganda, ect...) rather what needs to happen is one needs to change their paradigm to fit new facts (and yes some of the info is not accurate so we need to know fact from mistruth). It is hard and feels unatural, but any willing to do so can once again find faith. This requires rather then a "ignore and have faith" approach, it rather requires a scriptural "by study and also by faith" approach. I also did a follow up interview with Fair that was released yesterday - http://blog.fairmormon.org/2014/03/19/keeping-the-faith-13-pressing-forward-with-faith/ Thanks for the article.... Bill Reel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Brother Reel. I am honored to my bones(!) that you read and commented on my humble blog. I have listened to several of your podcasts and find them to be valuable and thought-provoking. I will definitely head right over to hear your latest one in Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the difference between your faith and the faith of a Muslim in the Koran? What are we to have faith in, if there are countless other religions asking the same faith? If I read the BoM, pray about it, and have a witness, that is sufficient for Mormons to declare truth. Yet if I sit and meditate after the manner of Buddhists or Hindus and have a very different yet equally vivid spiritual experience, would this be sufficient to declare these religions as true? Does ignoring these difficult questions fall in the realm of faith as well? To what extent should we ignore certain things that are necessary for intellectual honesty and spiritual integrity? What is better, a sincere non-denomination spiritualist or a devout yet insincere Mormon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, great question. Let me share a few thoughts that hopefully others will expound upon further. First off, it should be noted that while we as Latter day Saints profess to be the one and only true church of Jesus Christ on the Earth, that does not for a minute mean that there is any sense of disrespect of other religions, nor does it mean that other faiths do not possess some truth. As a matter of fact, it is taught in our church that other faiths each have bits of truth embedded in their respective doctrine. What sets us apart however is that we are the only church on the Earth that has the full Gospel of Jesus Christ and is run by the Savior Himself through His prophets, as was done in ancient times.

      You mentioned praying about the Book or Mormon and gaining a witness. Here is the thing about that that is often overlooked: should a person gain such a witness of the Book or Mormon from their first reading, that witness is not the end of the road, but merely the beginning. The man or woman who only goes so far as to base a testimony on a witness from reading the Book or Mormon one time and then ends it there will fall away from the church. You see, faith, or a testimony, is a living thing that has to be nurtured. Only by living by faith and by the commandment of God can one truly gain the kind of spiritual understanding you speak of.

      That is the problem with living off of intellect in such matters alone, you can talk about faith all you want, but you'll never really understand it until you honestly live it. Like most things, you have to experience it. Case in point, I can study and read about the act of swimming all I want, and can read the best books on the subject. Does that make me an expert in swimming? Of course not, I need to put my swim trunks on and go jump in the closest pool and get my feet wet to start to understand it. Now, does jumping in the pool one time make me an expert? Of course not! I need to go in many times, I need to take lessons and learn from more experiences swimmers, and I need to practice what I'm taught.

      Delete
    2. J. Martin, thank-you for your response. I fear you've missed the point of my question(s). You claim that your church is the only one that has the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Fine. What separates your church from other churches that makes this same claim? How am I, as an investigator of the truth, to distinguish from the claims of your church and the claims of other churches? And yet all of these claims fall under the blanket of Christianity. What about Islam and their claim that Mohammed is God’s one true prophet? Why do you belief in Joseph Smith and not Mohammed? What you say about other religions having a portion of the truth can just as easily be said about your religion. Muslims claim to have the one true prophet Mohammed, but would say that Mormons have some of the truth, yet if they lack the Koran, they lack the entire truth. I’m not saying they’re right, I’m asking how I, as an impartial outsider to both religions, would distinguish between the two claims and find out the truth for myself? If the answer is to read and pray, then I would ask if you’ve read the Koran and prayed about it. If you say that you haven’t or don’t need to because you’ve already done so with the BoM and already know the truth, then why should I give the BoM any consideration at all if I’ve had certain spiritual experiences with other religions? And yet this is just one religion. What of Judaism? What Hinduism? Have you read the Baghavad Gita? Have you prayed about it? If we’re delving into the realm of Eastern systems, why should prayer be considered a means of discovering truth at all? Why not meditation? Why not contemplation on the 8 noble truths of Buddhism? I agree that an initial witness is only the beginning, but if I experience Nirvana or Moksha in meditation, should I continue to nurture this? Would you still encourage me to read and pray about the Book of Mormon even after I’ve had this experience?

      Swimming is a good analogy. I agree that reading about swimming does not a swimmer make. I would further this analogy by saying that one religion has the fullness of something is like saying that swimming in the kiddie pool is all one needs to do to experience swimming. If all you’ve done is swimming in the kiddie pool, you can claim to be a swimmer, but you’re a far cry from going out to the ocean and swimming against the current, let alone in a rough storm. Or swimming in a creek or rive. Or even just swimming in the deep end. What it boils down to is that you are making a claim for the truth, proposing your own method for investigating that truth, but neglect all other claims for truth or even neglecting other methods. If you believe that reading and praying about the Book of Mormon is the way to receive an answer or spiritual witness to the truth, why do you not extend this same method to other kinds of scripture, like the ones I’ve mentioned about? Why are you so convinced that reading and praying is a reliable means of investigation in the first place? And even if it is, how do we reliably avoid confirmation bias?

      I don’t mean to be difficult here, but all of this is just an extension of the basic problem of, if I am to just have faith, what is it that I am to have faith it? Am I supposed to take another’s word that x, y, or z is true? Am I supposed to find out for myself? If so, how? If method x, why not method y or method z? Finally, if you’ve received a witness through prayer about the Book of Mormon, and I’ve experienced Moksha during meditation, whose experience is a better gauge for the truth? Would you dismiss my own experience because it contradicts your own? If so, why shouldn’t I just dismiss your experience, and by extension, your religion entirely?

      Delete
  8. Robin, you have some very valid questions. Thank you for sharing them. My next post might help a little, although it will be within a Christian framework. I basically know nothing about Eastern religions, which may seem like a copout to you. And maybe you'd be right about that. But when you find something that works and I mean REALLY works and always has worked for you, why look elsewhere? It's kind of like marriage. I adore my husband of 30+ years; so I have no desire to look for a different husband. My next post will be out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I'm looking forward to your next post. :)

      Knowing nothing about Eastern religions is not a cop out. I mean, really, how many Buddhists know a lot about Catholicism or Greek Orthodoxy? It's just the nature of the demographics into which we are born. I don’t mind a Christian framework. Even secular westerners share a common symbolic language and culture within this same framework. This is fine. What is not fine is when ethnocentrism plays a central role in the approach to a comparative understanding. It’s like, reincarnation seems like a silly idea for those who subscribe to a fall and need for redemption through a Saviour figure; yet in the East, fall, sin, and redemption are equally silly, and reincarnation is just a given. That reincarnation is not a central component to Western religion often surprises the Eastern mind. As a student of comparative religion, I am fascinated with either approach and can appreciate them both. Yet at no point in time do I marry myself to one system or even one dominant culture (east vs. west).

      I agree with you completely: when you find something that works, it’s worth sticking with and nourishing. My comparative approach and objective appreciation for the myriad of systems, philosophies, and religions out there have helped me understand the nature of the universe far greater than any single system could. This works for me and REALLY works for me. I’m glad you can appreciate that. The question of “why look elsewhere” is an interesting one because looking elsewhere is intrinsic to my approach to life and personal philosophy. I want to understand as much as I can. What did the Egyptians have to say about life and death? What did the Greeks have to say about virtue and beauty? What did the Chinese have to say about war and politics? What did the Indians have to say about society and the laws of the universe? If I am satisfied with the claims of one religion within one culture, fine, then my investigation seemingly ends there, content, as it were, with the limitations of the constraints of geography and chronology.

      I suppose what it really boils down to for me is that if you have a husband that you love and that works for you, great! I am truly happy for you and I hope it continues to work out for you. But this is not the same thing as saying that your husband is right for someone else. In fact, I suspect you might have a problem if you had to share your husband. What religions who claim to have the full truth are doing is saying that your husband is the right husband for all people. I cannot accept this, if for no other reason than as a straight male, I’d much rather prefer a wife. ;) But then, I don’t even know if I want to get married! It’s quite the problem, and I’m glad you brought up that illustration.

      If you want to treat Mormonism as merely one way of approaching God, I have no problem with this. If you truly believe that Mormonism is the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, that is a whole other issue entirely, for this is the same as saying that one kind of spouse ought to be the same for everyone. And as a side note, if you were born and raised Mormon, staying with it is like marrying the first person you date without giving anyone else a chance. In that case I would ask, why WOULDN’T you look elsewhere for a while?

      Delete
  9. Robin, the missing ingredient, coming from this life-long, "true-blue" Mormon, is finding God, or whatever deity you prefer, and receiving His input in the matter. That is the basis of our religion --- ask Him. Then follow what He tells you. I fully admit that I have a very simplistic approach, and my opinion is completely colored by my own experience which has never stepped outside of my religion. But I have eyes and ears, and I have observed what happens elsewhere, and it just reinforces my resolve to stay where I am. I have felt God's hand in my life so many times and in my post titled, "Cast your mind upon the night", I have shared one of those experiences. I have been blessed beyond words and cannot begin to express my gratitude for my religion and my heritage that brought me into it. I guess .... unless you've experienced what I'm saying, you cannot understand it. But again, it's all just my opinion and my experience. We must each choose our own path. (I should dedicate my next post to you. ;) ) The whole point is that prayer really works and if you get your answers from God and then test out those answers in your actions and choices, you will know. As a very wise man once said, Faith precedes the miracle. p.s. Thank you for a respectful dialogue. That means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete