Please note:

This blog (which originated during the 2012 Romney campaign) consists of my opinions, and my opinions alone. Despite the election loss, I've continued the blog, and write a post when strong feelings drive me to it. In spite of the blog titIe, I DO NOT speak for my church nor for other members of my church. If anything I say ever contradicts LDS doctrine .... forget me and go with the Church.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Why do this? (And how do I keep it from being boring?)

Starting this blog has been on my mind for several weeks.  Do it, or not?  Finally, at the urging of my daughter and with her suggested title, here goes.

My purpose is to offer my thoughts as a Latter-day Saint ("Mormon"), especially during this current and historic election campaign involving a fellow LDS.  I don't know Gov. Romney personally, but I feel I know a lot about him.   He and I grew up in the same culture and were taught the same values.  As children, we learned from the same books and lesson manuals, and grew up listening to the same advice from our religious leaders.  Mormonism is a uniformly-taught religion.  It's the same on the west coast (my home) as it is on the east coast (his home) as it is worldwide.

I also know what kind of people fill leadership positions in our church.  Romney was a bishop (similar to a pastor) and a stake president (presiding over a dozen congregations) which are both strenuous and taxing positions.  No one asks for these jobs, but most do humbly accept them.  They then serve in that position for five to ten years until they are released to take another assignment.  By and large, men who have had these ... callings, as we say in our lingo .... are among the most kind and ethical people one could ever hope to meet.  I have known many past and present bishops (as well as being married to one) and stake presidents and they are all exemplary in character.  So yes, I feel I know Mitt Romney, even though we have never met.  And since I'm passionately driven to see the good ol' USA with its values intact, continue as a blessing to my descendants .... an honest man at the helm IS A GOOD THING.  And a man who knows how to create success on a balance sheet is ALSO a good thing.

I also know there is a LOT of misinformation out there about us.  And, sad to say, a lot of bigotry.  We're not Christian, they say.  We're a cult, they say.  We're even plotting to take over --- seriously!  And to some, a vote for a Mormon is a vote for the devil.

So, with this blog, judge for yourself.

3 comments: