Please note:

This blog (which originated during the 2012 Romney campaign) consists of my opinions, and my opinions alone. Despite the election loss, I've continued the blog, and write a post when strong feelings drive me to it. In spite of the blog titIe, I DO NOT speak for my church nor for other members of my church. If anything I say ever contradicts LDS doctrine .... forget me and go with the Church.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Color

June 8, 1978.  I was home with our two year old when Husband called me from work with the big news that he'd heard on the radio.

The "long-promised day has come when every faithful, worthy man in the Church may receive the holy priesthood".  For the first time since our church was founded in 1830, there would be no restriction due to skin color.   I don't remember my specific reaction, other than I was excited.  I called my friend Beth, to verify.  Yes, she said, it's true!

I grew up a member of my church.  My parents were members.  Their parents were members ...... and on and on.  All I've ever known is being "Mormon".  So the fact that in our church, black men (the term "African American" had yet to be coined) could not be ordained to receive what we believe is the authority to act in God's name, was strangely normal to me.

The priesthood is a power that comes from God, to do his work here on the earth just as was done in the Bible.  It is the authority to baptize, preside, give blessings, heal the sick, and conduct ordinances, among other things.  Without it, men cannot  be married eternally in the temple nor receive the ordinances therein.  Women have never been ordained in the priesthood; however, we are not denied anything by our lack of it.  We receive all the ordinances and blessings.  I have never felt short-changed for not having the priesthood myself.

But what about black men?  Why were they denied this for so long?  Answer: ... the forget-everything-else-you-may-have-heard answer .....  We don't know.  That's it.  We don't.  Some have theories.  But they are just ... theories.  In the Old Testament, the priesthood was only given to certain groups, much more limited groups than in our lifetime.  Black men it seems, are simply among the last to receive it.

When I was in college (pre-1978), I dated the one black man on our mostly LDS campus.  He was handsome, charismatic, and fervently LDS.  He had been converted a few years prior, and his conviction as to the truth of our beliefs, was powerful.  He believed.  He believed in a religion that, because of his skin color, set him apart from other men.  How can that be?

It didn't matter to him.  He knew it was true and he trusted God.  And he knew God loved him.  It was as simple as that.

After graduation, I never saw him again, but on that June day in 1978, I thought of him.  I was thrilled for him because I could imagine his joy.

So something with which I grew up and seemed so normal, now 34 years later, looks strange.  My beloved religion, the religion of my forbearers, discriminated against black people!  How did I tolerate that?  How can I tolerate it now?

Because of faith.  I know it's true.  I know it has been the greatest blessing in my life.  I know that anyone who embraces it will also be blessed, regardless of their skin.  And whatever God's reasons were, I trust him.

One thing to note:  Although black men were restricted from receiving the priesthood, black people were not restricted from joining and gathering with others of our faith, to worship.  We never segregated our worship services.  We never had black or white congregations.   I was never taught as a child, by my parents nor by my church, to feel differently, one way or another, towards another race.  Everyone is a child of God and deserves to be treated with respect. 

Yet look at the history of traditional, mainstream Christianity in America.  There you WILL find segregation.  In our society, the colors did not mix until the 60s began to open our eyes to the bigotry of segregation.  And sometimes God waits, prepares, and takes his time until WE are ready ..... and in 1978, not only were WE ready .... the world in general was ready too.

3 comments:

  1. Mom, this is so good. I would be intimidated to take on this topic. You just laid it out honestly and simply. AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just may have to bookmark this - great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Brenda! Really good and straightforward. Every church during that period of time during America's history "discriminated" against blacks. It is unfair to single our church out in the context of what was happening in American society.

    Also, I JUST gave a lesson in YW about the priesthood and how they, as women, are not discriminated against because they cannot hold it. Two good quotes:
    Sheri L Dew, "Sisters, some will try to persuade you that because you are not ordained to the priesthood, you have been shortchanged. They are simply wrong, and they do not understand the gospel of Jesus Christ. The blessings of the priesthood are available to every righteous man and woman. We may all receive the Holy Ghost, obtain personal revelation, and be endowed in the temple, from which we emerge 'armed' with power. The power of the priesthood heals, protects, and inoculates all of the righteous against the powers of darkness. Most significantly, the fulness of the priesthood contained in the highest ordinances of the house of the Lord can be received only by an man and woman together."

    Joseph F. Smith, "The patriarchal order is of divine origin and will continue throughout time and eternity. There is, then, a particular reason why men, women and children should understand this order and this authority in the households of the people of God...It is not merely a question of who is perhaps the best qualified. Neither is it wholly a question of who is living the most worthy life. It is a question largely of law and order."

    I also did an object lesson with a glass of water. The water represented the priesthood and the glass was the priesthood holder. The water was available for anyone to drink! The holder's job was to share it and it benefits us all, equally. And lastly, the most important thing about the priesthood are the blessings that come from it, not who holds it.

    ReplyDelete