Please note:

This blog (which originated during the 2012 Romney campaign) consists of my opinions, and my opinions alone. Despite the election loss, I've continued the blog, and write a post when strong feelings drive me to it. In spite of the blog titIe, I DO NOT speak for my church nor for other members of my church. If anything I say ever contradicts LDS doctrine .... forget me and go with the Church.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Mature VS Boorish

The VP debate.  I'm still recovering.  Not from disappointment ... but from indignation at more rudeness than I have ever seen before, in a national debate.  All substance, no matter from whom, was lost on Vice President Biden's ridiculous behavior.  Who could focus on what was said, while being assaulted by constant smirks, Cheshire-cat grins, interruptions, disrespectful laughs, and eye-rolling that went on and on and on.  I've seen more maturity in 12 year olds.

Maybe some people are used to this.  I'm certainly not.

Last weekend I attended our church's semi-annual General Conference in Salt Lake City.  We walked past scruffy street protestors with their signs and sidewalk sermons.  Apparently they frequent the entrances of Temple Square, hoping to dissuade anyone they can from the Mormon "cult".  I have to wonder if they have a clue as to the contrast between them, and what we received that day in the conference sessions.  The conference speakers were reverent, dignified, humble, sincere, uplifting, and inspiring.  Not to mention, groomed and dressed in a manner respectful to God's spirit.  The feeling inside was worlds apart from that of the men who toted signs outside on the sidewalk.

Back to the debate -- again, the contrast was stark.  Paul Ryan kept his cool and spoke calmly.  He knew his facts and tried to voice them in between Joe Biden's interruptions and verbal elbowing.   By the end when Biden finally lowered his tone, it was too late for me.  I was done with his circus act.   For me, who is used to quiet maturity in public speakers, as in that conference session in Salt Lake, he was beyond offensive.

Maybe, if your church exposes you to a lot of pulpit-pounding, you found Biden's energy invigorating.  My religion does not.  So maybe my reaction to the debate is just a matter of perspective.  Either way, I was appalled and embarrassed to call this man my vice president.



2 comments:

  1. I came home and Kendall had left this page up on the computer. Curiosity got the best of me so I read it, loved it, agreed with it......and then realized you wrote it!!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete