Please note:

This blog (which originated during the 2012 Romney campaign) consists of my opinions, and my opinions alone. Despite the election loss, I've continued the blog, and write a post when strong feelings drive me to it. In spite of the blog titIe, I DO NOT speak for my church nor for other members of my church. If anything I say ever contradicts LDS doctrine .... forget me and go with the Church.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

We are followers of Jesus Christ

According to this article, phone calls have been going out to voters in Ohio, asking the question:  "How can you support a 'Mormon' who does not believe in Jesus Christ?"  The calls came from a group called "Catholics for Obama".

The misconception that Mormons don't believe in Jesus Christ has been circulating for too long.  It is incorrect and it stops here.

As you see in the sidebar of this blog, the true name of the Mormon religion is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  The very title of this religion bears the name of him whom we believe authored and leads it.  A summary of our doctrine known as the Articles of Faith, starts with, "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in his Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost."

After numerous online discussions with Christians who are anything but willing to share the Christian title with those of my faith -- just as we are unwilling to share a title with fundamentalists who currently practice polygamy ..... I understand some of their reasoning.  They believe a person is saved once they accept Christ into their hearts, thus making them a Christian.  Christianity, to them, means they have been saved.  Mormons, they say, have NOT been saved and therefore, cannot be Christians.  They say our "version" of Jesus Christ is not accurate, or in other words, we believe in the wrong Jesus.

Please understand ... we believe in the ONLY Jesus Christ of the Bible.  The one who was born of Mary, who cleansed the temple, who called to Peter, James, and John to follow him.  Who walked on water and fed the 5,000 on a few loaves of bread and fishes.  Who was betrayed by Judas, nailed to a cross, and died for the sins of this world.  Who died for me ... and for you.  He is our Redeemer, Savior, and Advocate.  We pray to God the Father, in the name of Christ.  He is the literal Son of God and only through him and his atoning grace, can I return to my Father in Heaven.   If you know of another Jesus, please let me know.

In the Book of Mormon -- another testament of Jesus Christ -- it says, "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."  (2nd Nephi 25:26)

Do we believe in Jesus Christ?  

Absolutely we do. 





 




1 comment: