Please note:

This blog (which originated during the 2012 Romney campaign) consists of my opinions, and my opinions alone. Despite the election loss, I've continued the blog, and write a post when strong feelings drive me to it. In spite of the blog titIe, I DO NOT speak for my church nor for other members of my church. If anything I say ever contradicts LDS doctrine .... forget me and go with the Church.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Even if it wasn't true .....

We, as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, have been heard to say -- we know the Church is true.  What we mean by that is .... we know, and/or have faith that the gospel, as taught in the Church, is true.  And by THAT we mean it honestly has the correct formula for returning to God, AKA our Father in Heaven, and, in some sense, live with him forever.  That is the bottom line.  I have believed this all my life, with no intention of ever changing my opinion.

But, and admittedly we've ALL had this thought, WHAT IF I learned from some indisputable source ...... that it isn't the true religion?  What would I do?

Well, if I was smart, I'd stay.  I'd remain a member.  Why?  Look at its people.

The people generally are happier and just plain nicer.  Generally, marriages and families are stronger.  (To save time, let's just go ahead and apply the term "generally" to all these statements.)  I particularly appreciate how my religion affects men.  They seem to rise to a higher quality.   They are strong, loyal, and hard-working, yet at the same time, more gentle and respectful.  There is added humility and selflessness that you don't usually see in the rest of the world.  Crudeness, expressed in language and behavior, is rare.  I don't know if I'm making my point clear, but there is a difference and when it's not there, I notice.

LDS people are taught honesty and morality (the type our grandparents took for granted).  In other words, they're taught to walk the walk and they do it.   Of course we're all on different levels of achieving total command of our own weaknesses, but there's an element of effort towards being one's best, in the people of my church.

I'd be foolish to leave something that has steered me safely past many of life's potholes.  Even if the doctrine, which cannot be proven by science, is not real as I believe it to be ... one cannot dispute the better quality of life of its devout members.  That .... IS measurable.  And in my opinion, the alternative is NOT attractive.

Even if it wasn't "true" .....  it DOES motivate and inspire goodness.  And it allows me to mingle with people who manifest that goodness.

Which, to me, says it IS true.  Because it DOES work and the choices and actions of its people, including my own, are the results.  Therefore, staying put is NOT something I keep in question.

Can you blame me?













No comments:

Post a Comment