Please note:

This blog (which originated during the 2012 Romney campaign) consists of my opinions, and my opinions alone. Despite the election loss, I've continued the blog, and write a post when strong feelings drive me to it. In spite of the blog titIe, I DO NOT speak for my church nor for other members of my church. If anything I say ever contradicts LDS doctrine .... forget me and go with the Church.

Monday, May 12, 2014

My Take on Mother's Day

I want to be clear right off the bat.  I had a good mother, although for only nine brief years of my life.  I had many mother-figures, or stand-in moms if you will, to help fill the void after her death.  Not to mention a first-rate dad.  I grew up believing adults were kind and safe and good.  Hence, I have always projected that image onto God, whom I credit for my happy life.  Furthermore, I was and am a good mom.  I don't feel guilt.  I was not perfect by any means, but I know I did my best in raising my kids.  Their childhoods were happy and secure.  Top that off with the dearest husband this world has ever produced.  I am and always have been blessed beyond words.

But Mother's Day kind of irritates me and here's why.

Greeting card and florist industries have fostered the obligation that anyone with a mother, must spend time and resources one certain day each year, so as to avoid hurt on her part, and guilt on everyone else's.  Of course it is all meant to be an expression of love and/or honor, but why on this one day?  Why is this one Sunday in May any different than the other 364 days on the calendar?  Who gave this one day such power over us?

Phone calls, gifts, visits, flowers and whatnot .... who doesn't love them?  But not mixed with obligation.  When the two elements are combined, the result is too often duty and a checklist.  It is the difference, on the part of the giver, between being prodded and reminded to express love .... and simply wanting to.   In my opinion, expressions of love should be motivated by that love.  And not by anything else.
But each year, against my will, somehow this one day messes with my head and creates an expectation in me that I am owed something.  The meal not cooked by me.  The cookie at church.  (I've even been known, to my shame, to grumble inwardly when it WASN'T a cookie but was a silly flower that rarely made it home intact ......)  The call.  The card.  The gift.  And, in spite of my best efforts to expect nothing, I still kind of do.  And why?  I can attend church every other Sunday of the year and NOT be handed a cookie and am fine with it.  Any other day can go by without hearing from my kids and I still feel loved.  In other words, Mother's Day foists upon me annoying feelings of obligation and entitlement which somehow detract from the love expressed.

Needless to say, I won't wear a tacky corsage on Mother's Day to show the world that my husband has done his job and one-up the poor woman whose husband hasn't.

Imagine for a moment, or think back to when ..... you got a random phone call, a note, a Facebook message, a gift, an act of service ..... FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN SOMEONE THOUGHT OF YOU.   You must admit, you were touched to your core, were't you.  It zinged right into your heart, didn't it.  This is what I mean.  There was no expectation nor obligation nor a date on the calendar .... just love ... and thoughtfulness.  To me, THAT is what a gift should be.

I know my kids love me.  I feel it from them every time I'm around them.  And we say it.  The greatest gift they can give me is their own happiness.  Regarding my own mother, I honor her often in my heart.  Therefore, I don't need a Mother's Day.  I have it EVERY day.

4 comments:

  1. Not everyone is as lucky as you - I think it's wonderful that you are so loved and know and feel that love - some families have a harder time expressing love - some kids need the gentle spurring the day brings to not take their moms for granted. I know many moms who feel as loved as you and I know many who don't know how truly precious they are - until that one day rolls around giving a vehicle for those who have a hard time sharing their feelings to do so - perhaps a little more easily. Or clueing in the hard headed who don't realize how important moms are most of the time until they are reminded by a day on the calendar around. You might not need it - but many do. I look forward to the day when all moms are celebrated everyday everywhere, but until then, I am grateful for a day that celebrates mothers & motherhood at least once a year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree with you. We all have our own perceptions, needs, and experiences. This is, as I said, my take and why I struggle with the day. Yours may be different and I respect that. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. ahhhhh, i get it now. thanks for the post :) i still don't know what to do or not do...haha...but "getting it" was half the battle. i didn't know if mother's day made you feel bad or if it was taboo to bring it up like tyler's birthday. hehe. phew! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known I would scare my kids into tiptoeing around me on holidays. No need. I just don't like to be fussed over when I already have everything. And don't worry. I really only weird out like this once or twice a year. It passes quickly. (Insert smiling emoticon here.)

      Delete