Please note:

This blog (which originated during the 2012 Romney campaign) consists of my opinions, and my opinions alone. Despite the election loss, I've continued the blog, and write a post when strong feelings drive me to it. In spite of the blog titIe, I DO NOT speak for my church nor for other members of my church. If anything I say ever contradicts LDS doctrine .... forget me and go with the Church.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Truth hurts, Part two

Continuing from the previous post.

I responded with another message:

"I just want to say that your son is very fortunate to have a family and to be in a home where he's loved.  You are a blessing to him and he to you.  Will he, at some point, want more information about his bio-parents?  Most likely.  Will he, at some point, wish he had a dad?  Possibly.  If he does, please don't make him think there's something wrong with him.***  Obviously I don't know him or you, but I know human nature, and I know about raising boys.  

(Name withheld), you asked me to explain my opinion and so I did.  Then you shot me down for doing so.  I am not responsible for human nature.  I did not create it.  It just is what it is.  I spoke the truth and I cannot help if it hurts.  There is a difference, beyond the physical, between men and women.  We all know it, and society fully recognizes it ....until it comes to raising children and suddenly it has been decided that there is no difference between a mom and dad.  I'm saying children need both and one cannot be the other.  And neither is expendable.  I'm sorry if that's hurtful to you.  I can only say it as gently as I can.  But I must be honest.

I am not ashamed of my words.  You can post them wherever you want and say whatever you choose about them or me.  I will not back down.  Children cannot speak up so someone has to.  

Believe it or not, I wish the best for your family.  May your son thrive and be happy.  Thanks to you, he has a chance for a good life.  I mean that."

***According to personal accounts of those who have lived it, this has happened.  

Afterwards she sent a terse note, giving me a thorough tongue-lashing and ended with the instruction to not contact her again.  It was not a public message and so, out of respect for her privacy, I won't print it here.  

And there you have it.  I tried to not color the conversation, but just put it out there.  You are free to decide what you think.   Hopefully, other conversations are happening, in which all sides are allowed to be heard.

On a positive note, I received a lovely and thoughtful private message from one of the other campers who had seen the exchange in the forum ... thanking me for my "courage and kindness".  He was referring to the private message I wrote to her that she published for all to see.  (See previous post, link above.)  Did his message brighten my day?  More than I can say.  However, who will brighten her day?  And I don't know if that's even possible until enough people embrace her beliefs and all dissenters are completely drowned out.  And maybe not even then....

 We are on that proverbial slippery slope.  And we haven't hit the bottom yet.  LBGTs are not bad people, anymore than "Straights" are good.  Blanket statements are meaningless.  Honestly, my heart goes out to them.  I wish there was an easy answer.   

Twenty years ago, we never saw the issue of gay marriage coming nor would we have believed it would..... and we can't yet see what's ahead.  If not for those eternal truths in which I have placed my faith, I'd be worried .... even scared.    


P.S.  Please read this post next.



1 comment:

  1. Here is another truth, those who live lives contrary to Heavenly Father's laws will be unhappy. They won't be able to tell you why, but will point to the way we live as a point on contention. Blaming us for their unhappiness. There is a way out, but it means abandoning a life contrary to God's laws.

    ReplyDelete